I joined Co-op as a temporary Customer Team Member in Guisborough during the pandemic. I’m a very active and social person, so when my college closed and my lifestyle changed, I was dreading the thought of not having an outlet or something to focus on. Getting a job at Co-op was a real lifesaver.
Co-op’s community focus
I’ve previously been a member of the Co-operative Party and other political movements, and I’ve taken part in lots of Youth Parliament campaigns, including a leading role in the fight to end knife crime. It’s brilliant to see Co-op supporting so many great causes, and the company’s focus on community is amazing, especially during times like this. I’m glad I’m part of a team that shares my values.
To help me understand the basics, I spent my first day on the tills and completing some online training. Everyone was really understanding and welcoming. After I completed training, I was offered an 8-hour contract to fit around my college studies, but I’ve managed to pick up plenty of overtime during the week. I enjoy the parts of the job that require close attention to detail, like date checks, temperature checks, and keeping the shelves tidy.
Looking to the future
After 8 weeks working on the shop floor, I was offered an opportunity to become a permanent member of staff. I’m studying Russian and Politics at Edinburgh University in September, so getting a permanent job offer was a real relief. My manager helped me organise a transfer to a store near my university, and both teams, in Edinburgh and Guisborough, have gone above and beyond to support me.
I’m so happy that I’ll be able to earn money while I’m studying, and for a business that shares my passion for changing society for the better.
Customer Team Member
Retail related opportunities
- Store Manager - Reading 210004G7 Reading, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Hampstead Gardens 210004FU London, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Barnham 210004GP Barnham, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Kingsteignton 210004EV Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Wigan and Warrington 210004FB Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Torquay 210004ET Torquay, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Bingley, Bradford 210004EJ Bingley, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Bradford 210004DT Bradford, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Swindon 210003QC Swindon, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Brockley, London 210004BC London, United Kingdom