As a driver apprentice we'll give you all the training you need to get your LGV (large goods vehicle) driving licence in just three months. You'll get a starting salary of between £23,762 and £25,592 (depending on your location), increasing to between £29,700 and £31,990 once you've got your licence.
We asked our current Co-op driver apprentices what's great about their role...
- Financial security – you get a great salary and a secure job you can build your life around
- Training – you get free first class training from experienced Co-op colleagues and external mentors
- Career prospects – with drivers in demand, you'll get the qualification and skillset to build a sustainable career
- Freedom – you can use your time on the road to reflect and learn by listening to music or audiobooks
- Work/life balance – you’ll work a set number of hours, and you’ll never have to sleep in your lorry
What you’ll cover in your apprenticeship
- months 1-3: practical and theoretical learning to help you obtain your LGV category C class 2 licence
- months 3-15: practical learning towards your Class 1 licence, and further learning across a range of modules including:
- understanding driving regulations
- driving efficiently
- delivering great customer service
- working as part of a team
You can find out more about the apprenticeship course here.
Hours of work
This is a full time apprenticeship – you’ll work a 40 hour week, and your working pattern will be discussed at interview. There are fixed and flexible shift patterns available. It’s possible you’ll occasionally work more than 40 hours in a week if you’re delayed by traffic – you’ll always be paid overtime if you work more than your weekly contracted hours.
The apprenticeship will suit people who have
- a current full UK/EU drivers’ licence
- an interest in developing a career in driving at Co-op
- the commitment to study and work to complete the apprenticeship
- eligibility to obtain a medical certificate and provisional licence if offered the job
- the ability to commit to a minimum 40 hours per week, working across a variety of shifts
Which locations are we recruiting in?
- Birtley (DH2 1AE)
- Castlewood (NG17 1JF)
- Plymouth (PL7 4JH)
- Thurrock (RM20 3EN)