up to £61,000 (Grade D17) plus benefits including:
28 days holiday / flexible working / annual incentive scheme / award winning pension
Manchester city centre
We’re looking for software engineers at all levels to join Co-op Digital and help transform our business by using digital innovation to build products and services that respond to real user needs.
As a software engineer at Co-op Digital you’ll work in one of our multi-disciplinary agile product teams alongside product owners, delivery managers, analysts, researchers and designers. We collaborate and work closely together to create solutions that deliver simple applications.
We have quite a few products at different stages, from discovery to alpha, beta and live. You can read about these in more detail on our blog (digitalblog.coop.co.uk) for more information. You’ll initially join a specific project, but there will be lots of opportunities to move around and keep things interesting. We have a community of digital technologist across digital and the wider Co-op, where we come together regularly to share knowledge and learn from each other.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about fulfilling user needs, collaborating with others and building great quality software. We encourage and support a full-stack, polyglot approach.
What you’ll do:
• learn and use a full-stack approach to software development (it doesn’t matter if you’re not initially comfortable across the full stack)
• use modern engineering practices like TDD, pair or mob programming and continuous deployment
• work within agile teams to create quick feedback loops and focus on the customer needs
• build services that make a difference to people’s lives
• mentor and line manage other engineers as they progress through their career
• help to recruitment new members of the team
What you’ll bring:
• a collaborative approach; engineers who enjoy pairing, mobbing
• a flexible attitude to technology and solid understanding of how the web works
• the ability to adapt and learn new technologies
• a desire for continuous improvement
• a commitment to putting user experience at the heart of the development process
Our interview process usually takes around 2 weeks from application, sometimes longer. We know this seems a long time, but we think it's worth it. The aim is to make sure this is the right job for you.
• Apply. We'll need your CV and have a few questions for you
• As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.
• Telephone interview (up to 30 mins). We'll have a chat to find out more about you and why you want to work at Co-op
• Face to face interview (around 1.5 hours). We'll ask you some technical and behavioural questions.
• Final stage interview (half a day). You'll get to see where you'd be sat, who with and what you'd be working on. We'll do some coding together to see your approach to problem solving. Finally you'll meet people you'd be working with who aren't engineers.
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough.
We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about our maternity and paternity schemes, as well as a wide range of other Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies