Senior Software Engineer
Up to £61,000 plus benefits
Manchester city centre
As a senior software engineer at Co-op Digital you’ll work in one of our small product teams alongside our principal engineer, product owners, delivery managers, analysts, researchers and designers. We work together to create solutions that deliver simple applications that respond to real user needs. The domains for our products vary from funeralcare to healthcare to food and insurance with everything in between.
We have a number of products at different stages of maturity. You can read about these in more detail on our blog (digitalblog.coop.co.uk). You’ll initially join a specific project, but there will be lots of opportunities to move around and keep things interesting. We have a community of digital technologists across digital and the wider Co-op. We come together regularly to share knowledge and learn from each other.
What you’ll do
• learn and use a full-stack approach to software development (it doesn’t matter if you’re not initially comfortable across the full stack)
• use modern engineering practices like TDD, pair or mob programming and continuous deployment
• work within agile teams to create quick feedback loops and focus on the customer needs
• build services that make a difference to people’s lives
• mentor and line manage other engineers as they progress through their career
• work alongside the principal engineer in the business area as the technical lead on a product
• support the wider engineering community in areas such as recruitment, knowledge sharing in addition to best practice
This role would suit people who have
• coding skills, you can create web applications in at least one programming language
• the ability to adapt and learn new languages and technologies
• a collaborative approach and enjoy pairing, mobbing
• a flexible attitude to technology and solid understanding of how the web works
• a passion for continuous improvement
• a commitment to putting user experience at the heart of the development process
• an understanding that building technology is also about working with people and processes, not just writing code
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.