Principal Platform Engineer
Up to £73,000 p/a
28 days holiday / flexible working / annual incentive scheme / award winning pension
Manchester city centre
At Co-op Digital, we’re creating our own digital revolution. By helping a traditional organisation to embrace the culture, practices and technologies of the internet age, we’re doing digital transformation on a grand scale. This kind of change isn’t always easy. Supporting colleagues to adopt agile, user-centred ways of working takes time. But when we get it right, the benefits for our members, customers and communities are huge.
Now we’re looking for a principal platform engineer to support the growth of our unique business. You’ll work closely with multi-disciplinary teams (product managers, delivery managers, business architects, engineers) to build digital services with the needs of our customers and members at their heart. We’ll look to you lead on technical strategy, build high performing teams, mentor our platform engineers and foster a culture of continuous learning and innovation.
Our platform engineers provide automation, tooling and cloud infrastructure to our entire digital group. They’re embedded as experts in agile multi-disciplinary teams, and they’re part of a larger central team that can take on bigger pieces of work. Our delivery teams are autonomous and run their own delivery and deployments, all supported by our platform engineers. Our infrastructure is a healthy mix of IaaS, PaaS and SaaS, making the most of Infrastructure as Code technologies like Terraform, Packer, Jenkins and git for version control.
What you’ll do:
- lead in development and maintenance of secure, scalable, resilient cloud-based infrastructure using an Infrastructure as Code approach
- lead technical delivery for large/multiple teams or major projects or platforms
- lead on improvement of our infrastructure standards and processes and ensure you’re role modelling good practice
- work with delivery teams to create and maintain continuous deployment practices
- work within and support a DevOps culture
- line managing, coaching & mentoring platform engineers in our community of practice
- Provide 24/7 on call technical support (as part of a sensible rota)
- build services that make a difference to people’s lives
What you’ll bring:
- experience leading technical delivery in multi-disciplinary agile/DevOps environments
- significant experience managing cloud based infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Compute) and using configuration management tooling (e.g. Terraform, Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
- solid skills and experience within Unix/Linux environments
- deep understanding of the full web technology stack (network, TCP/IP, DNS, routing, HTTP/S)
- the ability to adapt and learn new technologies
- great communication skills with the ability to collaborate with all kinds of people
When you join the Co-op, you’ll become part of an organisation where principles are just as important as profits. You’ll also get a competitive salary, 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service), an annual incentive scheme, private health cover, discounts on all kinds of products and services and a pension with up to 10% employer contributions.
We have a number of ongoing projects currently at different stages from discovery to alpha, beta and live. We also have a community of engineers across digital and the wider Co-op which comes together regularly to share knowledge and collaborate. You can find out more about what’s going on right now in Co-op Digital by visitinghttps://digital.blogs.coop, or follow us on Twitter:https://twitter.com/CoopDigital
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from all people. But we know that simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We want to create an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so colleagues can change their hours to suit personal circumstances.