£73,000 plus benefits (Work Level 4)
1 Angel Square, Manchester
This is a remote first role. There may be a need for you to come into the Manchester office once or twice a month to connect with the team. Those living close to Manchester will also have the option to work in the office if desired.
We’re looking for a principal engineer to join our engineering team at Co-op, a part of our newly formed Technology function. Working across all our Co-op business areas, you’ll lead on the delivery of great solutions for customers, members and colleagues. If you can bring the hands-on experience, technical credibility, and excellent leadership that we’re after, we can offer you the chance to pioneer change at Co-op.
As a principal engineer, we’ll look to you take ownership of the implementation approach and architectural choices around the delivery of bespoke software-based products and systems. You’ll work alongside a team of great engineers to deliver key products and services while aligning with our technical standards. It’ll be a broad role, where you’ll be involved in architecture and technical delivery, helping to break down complex problems and identify steps towards solutions, mentoring colleagues, engaging with non-technical senior leaders and guiding teams to create good software and systems. We’re a passionate community of designers, developers and data specialists here at Co-op, and this could be the perfect opportunity for you to join us on our journey of digital transformation.
What you’ll do
• guide engineering delivery for multiple, customer or colleague facing products and services
• provide engineering direction for a large multi-disciplinary team for several products
• help to maintain a focus on our standards and quality approach, and that our colleagues are doing things in a collaborative and optimal way
This role would suit people who have
• previous hands on experience in either software, front end, platform engineering, or quality assurance, with supporting knowledge of the other disciplines
• experience designing and developing multiple, enterprise-level web applications
• the ability to guide architecture and design across major services based on modern software stacks, hosted on cloud infrastructure
• confidence in guiding teams to apply engineering practices such as Test Driven Development, Build Quality In, and Pair Programming etc.
• an inspirational leadership style and keen to mentor colleagues to be the best they can be
• an effective and adaptable communication style, across both technical and non-technical colleagues
• experience contributing to the technical element of medium-term plans and roadmaps, and shaping the capability within teams to deliver them
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.