Lead Visual Designer
Up to £60,000 (Grade D18) plus excellent benefits
Manchester city centre
We’re looking for a lead visual designer at Co-op Digital to evolve the design of our digital customer experience. You'll have a background creating engaging online brand experiences for a range of audiences. You’ll understand how to design customer experiences that give Co-op a competitive advantage, creating commercial return whilst meeting user needs.
At Co-op Digital, our mission is to deliver products that create customer benefit and commercial return. We’re helping the organisation to embrace the culture, practices and technologies of the internet age, doing digital transformation on a grand scale. This kind of change isn’t always easy. Supporting colleagues to adopt agile, user-centred ways of working takes time. But when we get it right, the benefits for our members, customers and communities are huge.
As a lead designer, you will support the principal visual designer in growing a new visual design community of practice. You'll create designs that meet user needs whilst evolving the brand throughout the journey. You’ll be working with other designers and engineers in a multi-disciplinary team, and we’ll need you to have experience representing design to senior leaders as you’ll be doing so across the Co-op business. If you can bring us the people skills and visual design experience we need, we can offer you the chance to build a career with a business that’s using digital to make a difference.
What you’ll do
• work in an agile multi-disciplinary team to design digital services that meet user needs
• lead the design process within a business area (such as Funeralcare)
• elevate and evolve the existing design system, creating new assets and strengthening the customer journey within a business area
• work alongside the principal visual designer in creating and establishing the new community of practice for visual design
• confidently communicate design decisions to other digital and business colleagues
• coach, mentor and line manage 1 other designer
This role would suit people who have
• experience in a graphic design, interaction design or user experience role
• a portfolio demonstrating good design practices backed up by case studies (you will be asked to provide a copy of this when applying)
• the ability to create accessible and innovative designs that leverage and evolve the current Co-op brand
• experience working in an agile, multi-disciplinary team environment
• the ability to lead a digital design process from concept through to delivery
• knowledge in interaction and interface design for web and mobile
• the ability to communicate through sketches and low fidelity prototypes
• a track record of working with user research to understand user needs, and making design decisions based on evidence
• good people skills and ability to build positive relationships with partners in the business
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.