Indirect Tax Advisor
£35,000-£45,000 plus benefits (Grade E16)
Manchester city centre
We’re looking for an indirect tax advisor to join our tax and treasury team and be an important part of the team generating the quarterly VAT returns. If you can bring us the specialist knowledge we need you’ll be able to make an impact in this important area of the business.
As an indirect tax advisor, you’ll work in a varied role, understanding the key VAT issues in the business and looking for opportunities to improve our processes. It’s a big job. Our tax team processes £3 billion of VAT each year, but it’s an even bigger opportunity to build your career with a business that always puts people at the heart of its strategy.
What you’ll do
• draw data from our accounting systems to compile the group VAT return
• make sure that the VAT return is submitted within legal time scales
• submit Intrastats and EU sales lists to defined deadlines
• perform reconciliations and checks on VAT return figures
• advise on VAT liability for food and retail products, property and miscellaneous transactions
• make recommendations for more tax efficient ways of operating the business
• keep system documentation updated, and look proactively for ways of simplifying and automating the VAT processes
• work closely with partners across the business to collect and collate the data which feeds into the VAT return
• support with specific project work as required on aspects of indirect tax
This role would suit people who have
• experience working in a VAT role
• advanced Excel skills
• experience using accountancy software
• a passion for continuous improvement
• a good understanding of the Retail industry
• good communication skills, able to engage with technical and non-technical partners
• a tax qualification, although this isn’t essential
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone.
But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.