£73,000 (Work Level 4) plus excellent benefits including car allowance
Remote / Manchester city centre
Flexible working and part-time opportunities available
This is a remote first role. There may be a need for you to come into the Manchester office once or twice a month to connect with the team. Those living close to Manchester will also have the option to work in the office if desired.
We’re looking for engineering managers to joins us and support our engineers and their growth. Here at Co-op, we have a community of engineers from different backgrounds – Frontend, Software, Platform and Quality Analysts – where they come together regularly to share knowledge and learn from each other. A truly multi-disciplinary team of all experience levels working on all sorts of products from funeralcare to food and insurance, and everything in between.
As an engineering manager, we’ll look to you to apply your coaching and engineering leadership experience to drive high individual performance and assist our engineers in their personal and professional development. You’ll manage and mentor a group of up to 20 engineers from different experience levels and technical specialisms to help them be their best and support them with their development, whilst driving a people-focused culture of continuous improvement.
We’re flexible when it comes to your technology background but would want you to be strong in modern application/infrastructure development practices. If you can bring us great people skills and a real passion for growing and developing people and capability, we can offer you the chance to develop your skills and progress your career with a business that’s putting digital at the heart of its strategy.
What you’ll do
· manage, and mentor a group of up to 20 engineers at all levels, from different specialities across multiple teams
· help build and develop our community of practice
· use your own engineering skills and experience combined with external training to improve and develop the technical skills of our engineers
· coach and guide our engineers in their personal and professional development
· build meaningful relationships and work collaboratively with other engineering managers, technical leaders and product managers across Co-op
· support our recruitment, getting involved in interviews, assessments and reviews
· hire and onboard great engineering talent from a diverse group of backgrounds that reflect our customers and members
· work closely with external partners and be an advocate for our engineering community, collaborating with industry organisations and events
This role would suit people who have
· excellent leadership skills, with significant experience managing and coaching large teams
· proven experience working in multi-disciplinary agile team environments
· alternatively, evidence of experience in infrastructure such as infrastructure as code (e.g., Terraform, Puppet, Chef) or cloud infrastructure (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP)
· a passion for agile/DevOps/continuous delivery approach to software engineering with a focus on collaboration to deliver software
· great communication skills, with a talent for building relationships and inspiring others
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
· competitive salary
· car allowance
· coaching, training and support to help you develop
· pension with up to 10% employer contributions
· annual incentive scheme
· 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
· discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
As part of your application, you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.