£73,000+ (Work Level 4) plus excellent benefits including company car
Manchester city centre
Permanent and fixed term opportunities available
This is a remote-first role. Those living close to Manchester will also have the option to work in the office if desired.
We’re looking for engineering managers to join us at Co-op and support our engineering teams. An engineering manager is someone who’s got great software development experience, but who also has excellent people skills and is driven to inspire and motivate colleagues to help them grow. Our community of engineers work in small, multi-disciplinary teams to design, deliver, and operate our exciting range of products and services.
In this role, you’ll manage and mentor a group of up to 20 engineers at different levels, with varying technical specialisms, and drive a people-focused culture of continuous improvement. We’re flexible when it comes to your technology background, but we’d like you to be strong in modern application / infrastructure development practices. If you’ve got great engineering experience, and a passion for growing and developing people and capability, we can offer you the change to progress your career with a business that puts digital at the heart of its strategy.
What you’ll do
· manage, and mentor a group of up to 20 engineers at all levels, from different specialities across multiple teams
· help build and develop our community of practice
· use your own engineering skills and experience combined with external training to improve and develop the technical skills of our engineers
· coach and guide our engineers in their personal and professional development
· build meaningful relationships and work collaboratively with other engineering managers, technical leaders and product managers across Co-op
· support our recruitment, getting involved in interviews, assessments and reviews
· hire and onboard great engineering talent from a diverse group of backgrounds that reflect our customers and members
· work closely with external partners and be an advocate for our engineering community, collaborating with industry organisations and events
This role would suit people who have
· excellent leadership skills, with significant experience managing and coaching large teams
· proven experience working in multi-disciplinary agile team environments
· alternatively, solid knowledge and experience in infrastructure such as infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform, Puppet, Chef), cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP)
· alternatively, solid knowledge and experience from a quality assurance background (e.g. quality coaching, agile testing)
· a passion for agile/DevOps/continuous delivery approach to software engineering with a focus on collaboration to deliver software
· great communication skills, with a talent for building relationships and inspiring others
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
· competitive salary
· company car or car allowance
· private healthcare
· coaching, training and support to help you develop
· pension with up to 10% employer contributions
· annual incentive scheme
· 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
· discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
As part of your application, you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.