£30,000 - £35,000 plus benefits (Grade F14)
Manchester city centre
We’re looking for an employment solicitor to join us and provide outstanding client care across a varied and complex case load. At Co-op Legal Services, we’re known for our ethical approach, innovative use of technology and commitment to members, customers and colleagues. We’re a leading provider of private client services, with a portfolio of commercial partnerships with blue chip clients in the financial advisory, insurance and banking sectors.
As a Co-op business we have a rich heritage of supporting local communities. Self-development is one of our core values, and we’re committed to building an inclusive work environment where colleagues from diverse backgrounds will thrive. Careers at Co-op Legal offer you the opportunity to learn, grow and succeed in a business that puts people first.
In this role, it’ll be up to you to use your professional expertise to reach a speedy and constructive resolution to legal issues for your clients, whilst minimising risk. It’s a big job. But it’s an even bigger opportunity to really progress your legal career.
What you’ll do:
• provide advice to clients around employment law matters via phone, email and letter, and face to face meetings
• draft ET1 claim forms and grounds of claim
• handle disclosure and compile documents for hearings in tribunal and county court
• take and draft witness statements
• conduct preliminary hearings
• advise and represent clients in settlement agreements and negotiations
• assist senior team members with more complex claims when required (e.g. discrimination, equal pay, whistleblowing and TUPE)
• manage workload effectively making sure that deadlines are met and case progression is clear
• attend court and conduct advocacy
This role would suit people who have:
• post qualification experience as a solicitor
• experience in contentious employment law
• the ability to build meaningful professional relationships with a range of people
• the ability to comfortably use a case management system, and good general IT skills
• strong written and verbal communication skills
• excellent attention to detail
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.