Clinical / Medical Negligence Paralegal
£20,000 - £24,000 plus benefits (Grade G11)
Manchester city centre
We’re looking for a motivated paralegal to join our medical negligence team in Manchester. At Co-op Legal Services we’re known for our ethical approach, innovative use of technology and commitment to members, customers and colleagues. We’re a leading provider of probate, estate planning and private client services, with a portfolio of commercial partnerships with blue chip clients in the financial advisory, insurance and banking sectors.
As a Co-op business we have a rich heritage of supporting local communities. Self-development is one of our core values, and we’re committed to building an inclusive workplace where colleagues from diverse backgrounds will thrive. Careers at Co-op Legal offer you the opportunity to learn, grow and succeed in a business that puts people first.
In this role, you’ll join our specialist medical negligence team and work alongside senior solicitors on a wide variety of pre-litigated & litigated medical negligence claims. We’ll need someone who’s enthusiastic with a passion for client care and the ability to use their initiative to support the team in all aspects of the management of cases.
What you’ll do:
• assist senior solicitors in handling a caseload of varied medical negligence cases, receiving regular training, and guidance from colleagues in the wider team
• manage initial contact with clients over the phone, understanding their needs and taking relevant action
• carry out legal research as and when required
• support senior solicitors by carrying out admin tasks such as preparing documents and arranging meetings
• use and update the case management system, keeping client records accurate and up to date
• draft content to use on the Co-op Legal services website
This role will suit people who have:
• a relevant law degree or GDL qualification
• previous legal experience
• a good understanding, or previous experience of strong understanding of medical negligence
• a proactive approach with the ability to learn quickly
• excellent organisation skills and high attention to detail
• great communication skills, with the ability to engage with a range of colleagues and clients
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.