Associate Solicitor (Probate)
£31,000-£47,000 plus excellent benefits including annual bonus, 28 days holiday, pension with up to 10% Co-op contribution, and free support for your physical, financial and mental wellbeing (Work Level 6A)
We’re now working in a hybrid way, with colleagues dividing their time between home and any of our offices (Manchester, Sheffield, Bristol or Stratford upon Avon). Visit colleagues.coop.co.uk/hybrid-working-policy for more information.
We’re looking for an associate probate solicitor to join our Co-op Legal Services team.
Here at Co-op, we’re committed to a better way of doing business. The work you do will make a real difference to building better communities for our members, customers, and colleagues. In this role, you’ll manage a caseload of 50-60 complex probate cases from start to finish, making a real difference to our clients lives at a time when they need us most. You'll be joining a fast-growing and innovative legal business, and you won’t need to bring a following of clients with you as we use innovative technology to support your delivery, allowing you to focus on supporting our customers.
What you’ll do
• own a varied caseload of probate cases end to end, using a case management system
• use our case management system to make sure information is recorded accurately
• engage with clients mainly by telephone and email
• work collaboratively with support from experienced members of the team to continually develop your legal skills, administrative support will also be provided at certain case levels
• use your legal knowledge to mentor more junior members of the team
This role would suit people who have
• qualified as a solicitor or legal executive (CILEX or STEP qualification), or have the
• the ability to use your initiative and effectively manage multiple priorities
• a client-focused approach – putting clients’ interests at the heart of everything you do
• some experience in dealing with taxable estates
• significant probate experience and some experience of business and agricultural interests
• a comprehensive understanding of relevant allowances
• a good understanding of self-assessment processes for income and capital gains tax
• the ability to navigate concerns around Will validity and interpretation
Our legal team is the number one market leader in probate. Here you’ll do work that matters. Co-op is an organisation with a purpose beyond profit, and by contributing to our success you’ll help us to realise our vision of co-operating for a fairer world.
You’ll also get a package that includes:
• an annual bonus scheme (dependent on personal and business performance)
• a pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• wellbeing benefits to support your physical financial and mental health
• coaching, training, and support such as study leave, to help you develop your skills and progress your career
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.