Lead Service Designer
£50,000 - £64,000 plus benefits (Grade D18)
Manchester city centre, with flexible working options available
We’re looking for a lead service designer to join us and help us create products and services that provide commercial return and community benefit. Co-op is changing. We’re investing in our business and colleagues, embracing the culture, practices and technologies of the internet age, doing digital transformation on a grand scale. This kind of change isn’t always easy. Supporting colleagues to adopt agile, user-centred ways of working takes time. But when we get it right, the benefits for our members, customers and communities are huge – learn more here.
As a lead service designer in our strategy team, you’ll use service design to help answer strategic problems across our business areas, whether that be food, membership and platform. Working as part of a multidisciplinary design team, you’ll collaborate with product teams and internal partners to make sense of complex systems and communicate service strategy to a wide range of internal colleagues.
We’ll look to you to be a leader in our growing design community and shape service design at the Co-op through our community of practice.
If you’re an expert at aligning the user experience with business goals, we can offer you the chance to build a career with a business that’s using digital to make a difference.
What you’ll do
• map end to end services, experiences and processes
• visualise services holistically across all touchpoints (online and offline)
• communicate complex systems in simple terms
• find the key problems to solve and opportunities for growth
• consider the wider impact of the products you design, positively influencing the whole service experience with a visionary approach
• lead the strategic and iterative improvement of products and services
• be an advocate for accessibility in all aspects of the design of a service
• work with our principal designers to represent design within business areas, communicating decisions to digital and business colleagues
• work directly with multidisciplinary product teams
• support and contribute to our service design community of practice
This role would suit people who have
• broad knowledge of service design, visual design, interaction design, content design and user research
• great leadership skills, with a talent for working collaboratively and for coaching other designers
• expert knowledge of service mapping methods (for example service blueprints)
• the ability to consistently deliver high quality, commercial products and services
• significant experience using research to analyse behaviour and motivation, and making decisions based on evidence
• the ability to make design decisions that lead to commercial return and meet user needs
• a strong commitment to creating digital services that are accessible to all
• experience working in an agile, multidisciplinary team environment
• excellent communication and presentation skills, with a talent for building positive relationships across the business
• a portfolio demonstrating knowledge of user research, service mapping, the end-to-end customer journey, processes and systems, and the impact on customer experience (you will be asked to provide a copy of this at interview stage)
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.