Head of Sustainability - Property
Circa £90,000 plus excellent benefits (Grade C20)
Manchester city centre, with flexible working options available
We’re looking for a head of sustainability to join our property team and significantly move our sustainability strategy forward across our entire property portfolio. Here at Co-op, we believe that co-operation is the way to a fairer and sustainable world, and we have bold and ambitious plans to make sure that we meet the moment and deliver our pioneering sustainability targets by 2030.
As head of sustainability in our property team, we’ll look to you to lead, define and deliver our sustainability strategy across Co-op’s property portfolio. You’ll play a pivotal role to make sure we achieve our science-based targets, acting as a force for positive change to implement innovative solutions through cooperation and partnerships, both internally and externally. With more than 6,000 premises across the country, we own one of UK’s most varied property portfolios. It’s a big job. But it’s one in which you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge impact in our business and to pioneer a bold sustainability agenda across the various Co-op businesses and influence the wider industry.
What you’ll do
• set the vision, strategy and direction for the sustainability programme of our property portfolio
• lead, inspire and motivate your team to drive sustainability improvements in all aspects of our property lifecycle, making sure that key priorities, timescales and metrics are managed and delivered
• define and deliver our sustainability programme in Property and roadmap to net zero, delivering greenhouse gas emission reduction projects across our estate
• build and develop meaningful relationships with key partners and senior leaders across all Co-op businesses to drive our ambitious sustainability strategy forward
• engage and work collaboratively with our third-party partners and suppliers to make sure that our ethical values, commitments and sustainability principles are embedded throughout the entire supply chain
• oversee the delivery of the sustainability strategy, making sure it’s delivered within budget and agreed timescales
• define and deliver the 5-year sustainability investment plan for our property portfolio
• manage your team and support their personal development in a culture of continuous improvement
• be the subject matter specialist and an advocate for sustainability not only for the Co-op, but also across the industry and external events
This role would suit people who have
• substantial experience designing and implementing environmental and sustainability strategies
• extensive experience of carbon reduction, energy efficiency, resource use and bio-diversity protection strategy in the built environment sector
• a track record of demonstrating commercial benefits through sustainability
• a talent for building positive relationships with partners across the business, with proven experience of managing multiple senior leaders with conflicting expectations and priorities
• excellent communication and influencing skills, with the ability to energise, motivate and empower others
• the ability to present complex technical concepts and issues to non-technical audiences in an engaging and compelling way
• in-depth understanding of environment and sustainability regulatory framework
• strong analytical skills; you're able to interpret data to gain insight and translate it into actions
• an industry recognised sustainability membership or fellowship would be advantageous, e.g. IEMA, CIWM or equivalent
As a Co-op colleague you’ll do work that matters in an organisation where principles are just as important as profits. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• a competitive salary
• a car allowance or company car
• private health cover
• an annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
• a pension with up to 10% employer contributions
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We want to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
Please note as part of your application for this role you’ll need to complete an online assessment – this will take around 12 minutes.