Agricultural Specialist – Livestock
£33,200 - £41,500 plus benefits (Grade E16)
Manchester city centre, with regular UK travel
We’re looking for a passionate agricultural specialist to join our team and help take our service to the next level. If you’re passionate about agriculture and doing the right thing, we can offer you the chance to develop your career with one of the UK’s most forward-thinking agriculture teams.
As an agricultural specialist at the Co-op, you’ll help develop our agricultural strategy and policies for livestock. We’ll look to you to build amazing relationships with our suppliers and partners, championing the Co-op’s ethical, health, welfare and environmental standards. It’ll be down to you make sure we live up to those standards by putting the necessary due diligence in place for our food categories.
What you’ll do
• analyse data and provide regular reports on the performance of our farms and suppliers
• supporting the delivery Co-op’s livestock strategy that is to be interconnected in to the wider agriculture and policy strategy
• work in partnership with the category teams and supply base to support the delivery of Co-op’s category plans and relevant joint strategic development plans (SDPs)
• build and manage relationships with farmers and communities throughout our supply chain; making sure that the farm environment is looked after, and that people and animals are treated fairly
• make sure Co-op’s commitments are being adhered to across all elements of the “Farm to Fork” supply chains
• work closely and collaboratively with the agri manager to document and manage any issues or incidents in relation to animal welfare, raising further where necessary
• act as an ambassador for Co-op at relevant industry forums and build relationships with external bodies
• link in with social media, marketing and PR teams to manage any stories in the press and safeguard our brand and reputation
• support on specific projects and programmes
• work closely and collaboratively with our industry leading team, developing your skill set and gaining exposure to partners across the business
This role would suit people who have
• technical knowledge within the agricultural industry and commercial acumen
• an understanding of agriculture policies, with the ability to spot opportunities to drive improvements from “Farm to Fork”
• a talent for building positive relationships, and develop networks and contacts across the wider market, with an ability to represent the business externally
• excellent written and verbal communication skills
• a full UK driver’s licence and the flexibility to travel regularly for work
• the ability to challenge all kinds of people and build good rapport
• any project management experience, this’d be desirable but not essential
• a relevant qualification or degree – this would be great to have, but proven experience is more important
• a qualification in animal welfare would be a bonus but is not essential
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.