Can you bring people together in your community?
As a member pioneer you’ll bring people together to make a difference where you live. By connecting with members, colleagues and neighbours, you’ll help us achieve our goal of increasing co-operation in our communities. You’ll help build stronger and more resilient communities by offering fairer access to food, mental wellbeing services and opportunities for young people. You’ll pull off these achievements together. Every community has things which will make a difference – it’s your goal to uncover what they are and support them. It’s not rocket science. It’s what we do.
Home based in Dorchester & Dorset
You’ll need to live in or close to this community to apply
£9.18 per hour plus benefit
We’re looking for a member pioneer to join us at Co-op, working 4 hours a week (16 across the month). In this unique role you’ll be focused on bringing people together to make a difference in your community. That means talking to Co-op members, colleagues and community groups we support. By building relationships with and connecting these people you’ll be the catalyst for new ideas, initiatives and projects.
We have member pioneers dedicated to each of our communities and you’ll be a part of this ambitious plan for a better future increasing community co-operation. It’s an opportunity to make a visible difference where you live, supported by an organisation with nearly 70,000 colleagues and over 4.5 million members.
What you’ll do:
• develop an action plan to support building stronger and more resilient communities, providing fairer access to; food, mental wellbeing services, and opportunities for young people
• establish and run a local community forum, or make connections with one that already exists
• build a strong network locally using social media and digital platforms (such as Co-operate) to help
• understand your community needs, keeping your ear to the ground
• keep on top of activity in your community which you could partner with to support your ambitious plans
• prioritise your time, making your hours count and focusing on opportunities to make the biggest difference
This role would suit someone who:
• has lots of enthusiasm with the ability to get things moving
• loves working with and connecting people with an inspirational communication style
• is confident using social media and other IT (ideally including tools like Office365 or Skype)
• is committed and dedicated
• is adaptable and will try different ways to get a successful outcome
• lives within or very close to the community this vacancy supports and has the flexibility with their time to suit the community they serve
As a member pioneer you’ll have the chance to support local communities, making a visible difference by encouraging people to work together. As a Co-op colleague you’ll also receive a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits including:
• discounts on Co-op products and services, up to 20%
• a pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• access to wellbeing support
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We want to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make adjustments to the interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.
Expand for full job description
What makes a successful Member Pioneer? Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
How well you engage with others and establish trust.
How you help others understand Co-op’s future plans and what makes us different.
How you inspire yourself and colleagues to live Co-op’s unique ways of working, while doing what’s right for our members and communities.
How you create a culture of co-operation, which rewards individuals for trusting and supporting others.
How you communicate concisely and engage others in discussions.
How committed you are to being as inclusive as possible in everything you do at Co-op.
From financial discounts to unique opportunities, there are lots of reasons to join Co-op.
At Co-op, we’re passionate about doing great work for the communities we trade in. That means having the right people, from all walks of life and backgrounds, in our team to serve them. Take a look below how to become one of us.
Online assessment As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment which will measure how well your behaviours, values and motivations match up to this role and our overall Co-op culture. It will take around 20 minutes to complete this assessment.
Phone call Once you’ve completed the assessment, if you’re successful and shortlisted for the next stage, you’ll get a phone call from one of our colleagues. We know how important it is for candidates to speak to a real person – to ask questions and be reassured of their application.
If you pass your online assessment and short phone call, you’ll be asked to come to one of our stores for an interview.
We’ll send you an email for you to choose a date and time for your interview online – but if you can’t make it, don’t worry, you can provide the Hiring Manager times of when’s best for you. Before your interview, we’ll send you a really helpful guide on how best to prepare, so nothing on the day should surprise you, and most importantly what proof you need to bring to prove your right to work in the UK.
Your decision If you’re successful at your interview, you’ll receive a phone call from the hiring manager you met to talk about your job offer. If you accept, we’ll then send your offer online via an email. Before anything can be processed, we'll need you to accept this offer online. This will start your journey into our Co-op.
Sign up for job alerts
Register to be notified as soon as new jobs become available.