Compliance Officer for Legal Practice (COLP)
£competitive plus benefits (Grade C20)
This role can be based from our Manchester, Sheffield, or Bristol offices
We’re looking for an experienced solicitor to join Co-op Legal Services (CLS) as a COLP (Compliance Officer for Legal Practice), to help us to build a culture in which compliance is viewed as a key part of our commitment to our clients. If you can bring us the regulatory expertise and great commercial acumen that we need, then we can offer you the chance to create a big impact in business that puts people at the heart of its strategy.
In this role, we’ll look to you to make sure that CLS are fully adhering to all of the relevant regulatory requirements, so that we’re able to provide clients with the professional and trustworthy service that they expect from us. You’ll work closely with the SRA (Solicitors’ Regulation Authority) and other regulatory bodies, you’ll be the custodian and lead on all aspects of the creation of frameworks and reports that’ll help us demonstrate compliance and good practice.
You’ll also inspire change, and bring compliance to the top of the agenda for CLS colleagues by putting in place training that’s engaging and fully aligned to our client goals.
What you’ll do:
• plan and implement a compliance plan to make sure that CLS is fully aligned with SRA regulations throughout its growth plan
• support the business in the commercial delivery of compliance rules by providing expert legal advice and support in order to mitigate risk
• act as the main point of contact for FOS and LeO
• act as the MLRO for CLS
• work collaboratively with a range of key partners within CLS and the Co-op Group (including the Heads of Practice), Group Legal, internal stakeholders and external regulatory agencies
• work with the Learning & Development team to make sure that relevant training is built and delivered to colleagues
This role would suit people who have:
• fully qualified as a solicitor with experience in a COLP role
• expert knowledge of SRA regulations and data protection and money laundering laws
• experience of dealing with regulators
• the ability to engage with and influence colleagues at all levels
• the ability to manage, support and develop a team of colleagues
• sound experience of leading change with multiple stakeholders
• resilience, with the confidence to challenge and push back when necessary
• outstanding organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritise work effectively
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
● competitive salary
● coaching, training and support to help you develop
● pension with up to 10% employer contributions
● annual incentive scheme
● 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
● discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.