I feel the caring spirit of Co-op every day, in and out of work
227 words approx. 1 minute to read
I started working for Co-op eleven years ago as a Customer Team Member. It was at that time that I met my partner Donna. We worked together for four years until she had to stop working due to the development of her genetic disorder, Huntington’s disease. Since then her condition has deteriorated and she now needs round-the-clock care which I help provide alongside working full-time.
At first I thought being a carer would mean career progression would be off the table. However thanks to the support of Co-op and my colleagues I’ve still had fantastic opportunities to progress.
The colleagues I work with know me, care for me and are willing to swap shifts when I need it or step in if there is ever an emergency. Being surrounded by such amazing people gave me the flexibility and confidence to progress into a store manager role when the opportunity came. The Co-op understands that colleagues may need to balance their work with caring responsibilities and their Carers’ policy supports this.
Recently, my Area Manager started a fundraising campaign to buy Donna a new powered wheelchair. In just three months, our community raised an unbelievable £4,100. It’s dramatically improved life for us, but it’s also been so inspiring to see how much people will do for other people. I feel the caring spirit of Co-op every day, in and out of work.
Food Store Manager
Retail related opportunities
- Store Manager - Islington 200001XM London, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Romford 200002N6 Romford, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Highbury 200001XN London, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Ilfracombe 200002F6 Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Burgess Hill 200001T2 Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Buntingford 200002FE Buntingford, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Pontefract 200002L4 Pontefract, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Nottingham 200002LV Nottingham, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Potters Bar 200001RT Potters Bar, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Old Basing, Basingstoke 200002N5 Basingstoke, United Kingdom