I feel the caring spirit of Co-op every day, in and out of work
227 words approx. 1 minute to read
I started working for Co-op eleven years ago as a Customer Team Member. It was at that time that I met my partner Donna. We worked together for four years until she had to stop working due to the development of her genetic disorder, Huntington’s disease. Since then her condition has deteriorated and she now needs round-the-clock care which I help provide alongside working full-time.
At first I thought being a carer would mean career progression would be off the table. However thanks to the support of Co-op and my colleagues I’ve still had fantastic opportunities to progress.
The colleagues I work with know me, care for me and are willing to swap shifts when I need it or step in if there is ever an emergency. Being surrounded by such amazing people gave me the flexibility and confidence to progress into a store manager role when the opportunity came. The Co-op understands that colleagues may need to balance their work with caring responsibilities and their Carers’ policy supports this.
Recently, my Area Manager started a fundraising campaign to buy Donna a new powered wheelchair. In just three months, our community raised an unbelievable £4,100. It’s dramatically improved life for us, but it’s also been so inspiring to see how much people will do for other people. I feel the caring spirit of Co-op every day, in and out of work.
Food Store Manager
Retail related opportunities
- Team Manager - Winchelsea 200001C9 Winchelsea, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Chesterfield 200001OU Chesterfield, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Kingston area 200001OE Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Melksham 200001MP United Kingdom, Melksham, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - St Columb Minor 200001OH Saint Columb Minor, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Fulham 190007MO Fulham, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Park Royal, Hanger Green 190007MR London, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Chiswick, High Road 190007MU Chiswick, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Gifford 200001NO Gifford, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Gateshead 2000016G Gateshead, United Kingdom