I feel the caring spirit of Co-op every day, in and out of work
227 words approx. 1 minute to read
I started working for Co-op eleven years ago as a Customer Team Member. It was at that time that I met my partner Donna. We worked together for four years until she had to stop working due to the development of her genetic disorder, Huntington’s disease. Since then her condition has deteriorated and she now needs round-the-clock care which I help provide alongside working full-time.
At first I thought being a carer would mean career progression would be off the table. However thanks to the support of Co-op and my colleagues I’ve still had fantastic opportunities to progress.
The colleagues I work with know me, care for me and are willing to swap shifts when I need it or step in if there is ever an emergency. Being surrounded by such amazing people gave me the flexibility and confidence to progress into a store manager role when the opportunity came. The Co-op understands that colleagues may need to balance their work with caring responsibilities and their Carers’ policy supports this.
Recently, my Area Manager started a fundraising campaign to buy Donna a new powered wheelchair. In just three months, our community raised an unbelievable £4,100. It’s dramatically improved life for us, but it’s also been so inspiring to see how much people will do for other people. I feel the caring spirit of Co-op every day, in and out of work.
Food Store Manager
Retail related opportunities
- Team Manager - Widnes 200000CR Widnes, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Preston Area 200000AO Leyland, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Hungerford 200000C4 Hungerford, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Leeds Area 200000BE Leeds, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Shirehamption 200000BD Bristol, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Hanwell 200000AE Hanwell, United Kingdom, Hanwell, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Harlington, Hayes 200000AF Hayes, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Reading 200000B1 Reading, United Kingdom
- Store Manager - Sidcup/Bexley area 200000A4 Welling, United Kingdom
- Team Manager - Potters Bar 20000051 Potters Bar, United Kingdom